THE BALD EAGLE AND ITS LEGACY: AN ENCYCLOPEDIA OF A HIGH-FLYING AMERICAN ICON IN U.S. HISTORY, NATURE, LAW, AND CULTURE
Item #: 1007114
Published: Getzville; William S. Hein & Co., Inc.; 2022.
Subjects: LEGAL HISTORY, NATURAL RESOURCES
- The only comprehensive source detailing the role of the bald eagle in American history and iconography
- Written in plain language for researchers of any level to understand
- Arranged in an alphabetical index of more than 200 entries, as well as a topical index of 16 terms, which cross-reference one another
- Also contains an extensive bibliography of more than 500 entries, featuring articles, books, court cases, and teacher’s resources
- Provides a detailed timeline of the bald eagle’s progression as an icon from 1492-2022
- Addresses several myths that surround the bald eagle
- Authored by an expert in American symbolism
This book presents numerous A to Z entries about the bald eagle and its place in American culture. The bald eagle is one of the nation’s earliest and most persistent symbols and has been so even before it was chosen to be placed on the Great Seal of the United States. It remains ubiquitous in American statuary, advertising, art, and rhetoric and is a popular symbol not only for the nation but for a variety of sports teams. It is engraved on the emblems of numerous governmental branches and agencies and is a prominent architectural motif, especially on government buildings.
The eagle is a fitting symbol for the strength and majesty of a freedom-loving nation that seeks not only to protect its own but democracies throughout the world. It serves as a further symbol of the nation’s aspirations, while also representing environmental resilience and the manner in which the nation can intervene to protect its natural resources. This book presents information about all these topics in an easy-to-access format.
|1 volume||Per Book||$99.00||Order|