SUPREME QUOTES: SURPRISING QUOTATIONS IN SUPREME COURT OPINIONS
Item #: 1007080
Pages: xiii, 130p.
Published: Getzville; William S. Hein & Co., Inc.; 2022.
Subjects: CONSTITUTIONAL LAW, POLITICAL SCIENCE
About Supreme Quotes
- First reference book to highlight how frequently Supreme Court Justices use surprising quotations to enhance their opinions
- Among the quoted are satirists, actors, playwrights, politicians, musicians, poets, and more
- Contextual summaries to illustrate how each quote was used to crystallize an important legal point
- Each case involves a matter of great public importance, from defamation to search and seizure
- A unique compilation for legal professionals, government employees, teachers, students, journalists, or anyone with an interest in the nation’s highest court!
What do Clark Gable, The Dalai Lama, Mark Twain, and Bob Dylan all have in common? They’ve each been quoted in a Supreme Court opinion. Supreme Quotes: Surprising Quotations in Supreme Court Opinions collects surprising quotations used by Supreme Court justices to spice up their opinions and highlight the crux of a case’s underlying dispute. For each entry, Supreme Quotes presents the quote first, inviting readers to wonder why the Justice might have selected it. Then, a contextual summary provides the answer, offering an engaging way to learn about the underlying subject matter. Every case involves a matter of great public importance. For example, Justice Brennan quoted George Orwell’s 1984 as part of his dissent in Florida v. Riley, an important search-and-seizure case. Similarly, Justice Stewart quoted Joseph Heller’s Catch-22 in Parker v. Levy, a court-martial case arising out of opposition to the Vietnam War. Likewise, Chief Justice Rehnquist quoted Shakespeare’s Othello in Milkovich v. Lorain Journal Co., one of the Court’s most important defamation cases. In each case, the selected quotation reveals the Justice’s mindset about the disputed legal issue. Supreme Quotes is an excellent reference book for everyone from legal professionals to those with a casual interest in political issues. At the same time, Supreme Quotes is entirely apolitical. As a result, for those tired of the political back-and-forth, Supreme Quotes offers an entertaining approach to legal issues of national importance.
|1 volume||Per Book||$25.00||Order|